Dating an older guy requires having a good understanding of the difference in age and opinion to ensure that there are no major hiccups along the way.
A younger woman who decides to date an older guy needs to bear a few things in mind to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible. There are certain factors which guarantee a better understanding of the older person while ensuring that the elements of love and respect remain intact in the relationship.
Often a Mental Battle
- One of the most common problems that couples encounter when they have a large age gap is that the male and female roles eventually transform themselves into a highly exaggerated parent-child role. The older guy perhaps feels more comfortable dealing with the relationship in this way, so it’s important to be mentally prepared for this kind of approach.
- Women who date an older guy cannot expect to be treated as equal. Since the older guy comes with more experience in life, be open to the fact that he will know a lot more than you about certain things. There is no point in being egoistic about it to prove a point about who is more knowledgeable.
Facing the Facts
- Older men have more experiences in life and they have a lot of emotional baggage to deal with. Right from children and grandchildren to ex-spouses and aging parents, you need to understand that you may sometimes be far behind in the queue when it comes to prioritizing their needs and requirements. An older guy will not have the required energy and stamina to deal with all of them and get back to you with the same levels of patience intact. This might eventually take a toll on your budding and promising romance.
- Also be aware of the difference in approaches to finances. More often than not, your old man already has his finances marked to clear decades of debt that have likely incurred because of his previous relationships or due to financial obligations such as paying a child’s tuition fees, child support, or alimony.of child support or alimony. So you need to ensure that your financial situation is stable and you are clear about you wants and your needs. Financial planning becomes a lot more important in this case.
- You might get caught in the ‘parent trap,’ meaning that older guys often come with kids. Your man will expect you to be charming, polite and great with his kids. Be prepared for a lot of scrutiny and harsh judgement as they might treat you like a passing fixture in his life. You need to stay confident and keep your cool, so you ultimately keep your man!