Have you ever had a massage?
Do you feel massage helped? Are they worth the money?
If you haven’t had one, why?
What are some of the benefits to massage therapy
New research indicates that message therapy can do more than provide than nice relaxation. It can also
- Speed muscle repair and recovery.
- Release stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase range of motion
- Increase joint flexibility
- Increase release of endorphins
- Increase blood circulation
These are just a few of the many benefits of massage. But there are certain individuals who should not have massage therapy. These include:
- People with a history of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- People who take blood thinners
- People with a recent history of a heart attack
- People who have a history of damage blood vessels
- Anyone running a fever
- Anyone with nerve damage, open wounds, burns, and or fractures or healing fractures
- Those undergoing cancer treatments (unless given clearance from their doctor)
- Pregnant women (unless given clearance from a doctor and done by a therapist certified in pregnancy massage)
If you are not too sure if you are a candidate for massage therapy, it is always best to call your health care provider and get clearance prior to your initial session. If you’re thinking of opening your own massage business, check out this sports massage insurance by Fitness Gold. Massages have some great benefits but you need to be fully insured before you charge clients.
There are many different kinds of message therapies. These include:
- Swedish Massage Therapy is one of the most popular forms of massage. The therapist uses long, gentle, smooth strokes with superficial kneading and circulating movements to relax the muscles. This is very good for relaxation and release of tension.
- Deep Tissue Therapy is slower than the Swedish massage and targets the deeper layers of the muscles. The therapist works at breaking down deep adhesions working across the grain of the muscle to help break down the knots. At times it can be quite uncomfortable so be sure to let your therapist know if it is too uncomfortable for you.
- Sports Massage is a type of deep tissue massage that generally focuses on the area of interest for the athlete receiving the massage (i.e. my piriformis issue). It helps speed recovery and repair muscle damage as well as releasing and breaking the knots/adhesions within the muscle.
- Hot Stone Massage Therapy is when the therapist uses hot, flat stones for their therapy. The stones can be placed on various key points of the body or used as a means of helping relax the muscles.