Palm oil is the product of oil palm tree. Palm oil consists of saturated and unsaturated fats, beta-carotene, Vitamin E and antioxidants. Palm oil is generally used for frying.
Palm oil is used for preventing vitamin A deficiency, cancer, brain disease, ageing; and treating malaria, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and cyanide poisoning. Palm oil is used for weight loss and increasing the body’s metabolism.
With so many ‘healthy oils’ available in the market, Dr.Yusof Basiron, CEO, Malaysian Palm Oil Council point out 15 reasons why palm oil should be incorporated in your healthy cooking.
1. Excellent dietary energy source
2. Contains Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Oleic Acid
3. Free of cholesterol and TFAs
4. Rich in Vitamin E Tocotrienols and Pro Vitamin A Carodenoids
5. Stable at high temperature
6. Free of Trans fat
7. Easily digested and an excellent source of energy
8. Sufficient source of essential linoleic acid
9. Helps raise beneficial HDL cholesterol
10. Rich source of carotenoids – pro vitamin A
11. Balanced fatty acid profile
12. Antioxidants in palm oil shows potential to help prevent stroke
13. Antioxidants in palm oil have anti-cancer properties
14. Neutral effect on blood cholesterol
15. Palm carotenoids – a proven treatment for Vitamin A deficiency. The use of natural red palm oil has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to combat Vitamin A deficiency among children in many developing countries.