Have you ever seen a black family that’s made it a few rungs up the corporate ladder? They’ve moved on up to the east side, to that deluxe apartment in the sky or that single family home in the suburbs with the bangin granite countertops? Heck, maybe that family is you.
If you’ve seen this firsthand then you know the struggle is real when it comes to maintaining the balance between looking forward while embracing your past at the same da#% time. If you don’t know what I’m talking about here are 5 easy ways to figure out if you’re black-ish.
1) You struggled to get your kids into the best schools then worry about what they’re learning because they’re one of the only black kids there.
2) You worry that your kids are out of touch with their blackness?
3) Do people look at you like you’re crazy…. in your own neighborhood?
4) You have natural hair but the stores in your neighborhood still don’t sell natural hair products.
5) Have your kids slid past the regular sports like basketball and football to play hockey (field or ice), rugby or other sports their cousins that they go see in the summer have never heard of?
If you answered yes to any of these then you just may be black-ish.