Conquering fear does not mean that you will not get scared sometimes, but it does mean you will do it anyway.
Get started living your best life today by following these five action steps:
1. Dispel old beliefs, examine and challenge them – Many old beliefs stem from our childhood. Maybe you were told you should be quiet and not speak to adults in public. This belief may cause you to have challenges when asked to present a topic at work. Examine the belief by figuring out when it began and how it has played a role in your life. Then, dispel the belief with a statement such as “I have a good voice and it should be heard by everyone. I no longer need to remain quiet.” Finally challenge the belief by moving to step two- speak to a gathering of people on a topic.
2. Just do it – just like the famous Nike slogan. Start from where you are and soon you will build momentum. When you are passionate about something just do it.
3. Affirmations – Affirmations are vital to reprogramming our mind to see fear differently. Repeating affirmations will help you overcome old beliefs that you may have regarding a matter.
4. Repeat step #2- Yes that’s right being consistent over time will yield massive results. Imagine being a restaurant reviewer. Each time you do a review you will become better and better over time. In the book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell states that when we dedicate 10,000 hours to a craft we become an expert. Consistency is the key to living a life free of fear.
5. Educate and train yourself – When you take the time to study your craft, practice or understand how something works we naturally become less fearful because of the knowledge that we have. For example, if speaking was an issue for you joining and participating in a group such as toastmasters, would be a self-study that would help you hone your voice.