I think the time has come where Google Now may have overtaken Siri. Today Google Now received a massive update, one of the biggest things that Google Now can do which Siri greatly lacks is the hands-free mode. Starting today, you can simply say “OK Google” and Google Now will be activated and you can continue with whatever you wanted to do. This is a must-have update, so go ahead and download Google Now 3.1 from the App Store.
Google Now 3.1
Besides the hands-free mode, Google Now update brings some other major improvements too. Google Now 3.1 now brings reminder notifications to your iPhone and iPad. Simply ask Google Now to remind you to do something such as “remind me to call (friend name)” or “remind me to buy milk at the grocery store”, Google Now also as geo-fencing so it knows where your location is and will use it to remind you various things.
You can also ask Google Now about your favorite movies, actors, musicians and much more.
Here is the full change log on what’s new in Google Now 3.1
Google Now gets even better with:
• Notifications – Get notified when it’s time to go
• Reminders – Never forget to put out the trash
• New cards – See tickets, boarding passes, & more
• Hands-free voice – Just say “OK Google” to search*
* requires iPhone 4s or later
Notifications deliver info before you open the app:
• When to leave for your next appointment or event
• If your flight is running late
• How to catch the last train home
Ask Google to remember things for you. Just say:
• “Remind me to buy coffee beans at Starbucks,” or
• “Remind me to check out the fair this weekend”
and Google will remind you at the right time or place.
You can also ask to be reminded when your favorite:
• Musicians release a new album
• TV show has a new episode
• Actors star in a new movie
• Celebrities and politicians make headlines
Just search and press the “remind me” button.
New cards organize the info you care about:
• Tickets for movies, concerts and events
• Boarding passes for your flights
• Reservation confirmations for car rentals
• Warnings when your last train home leaves
• Lists of upcoming local events
And finally, search is better than ever with:
• A redesigned and simplified homepage
• Gestures to zoom or throw away images
• One touch sign in if you use other Google apps
• Improved voiceover accessibility
Check out the promo video of the new Google Now.
Google Now and Siri are almost neck-and-neck, each with its advantages and disadvantages. But the one thing that Google Now has an upper-hand is the hands-free mode, which personally for me is by far the greatest feature of Google Now.
It would be great if we can say “Siri” and Siri would be activated, but so far it seems that Apple might not introduce such a feature.
Well which is you new favorite feature of Google Now? Has Google Now really taken over Siri? Comment away!