Although it is not possible to cure a cold or flu, it will help to know some trustworthy tips which can alleviate the symptoms and even prevent you from catching it in the first place.
Each year at the same time millions of people suffer from colds and flu. Even though there is no cure for influenza or the common cold, you could easily boost your immune system to aid it in fighting the viral infection before it has a chance to wreak havoc on your natural defences. If you start experiencing flu-like symptoms, use some common remedies to ease the experience.
Prevention Through a Healthy Lifestyle
- Ensure that you are getting enough rest so that your body has enough down-time to keep its natural resistance high. Make sure that you wash your hands regularly and properly as you come into contact with many different foreign objects during your day, picking up thousands of potentially harmful germs.
- Be sure to get enough exercise, thus keeping your body healthy, which strengthens your chances to prevent a cold. Be sure to pursue a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Sugar debilitates your immune system and impairs your body’s defences against infectious disease, so cut down on your sugar intake. Caffeine is also toxic to your system and should be replaced by drinks high in antioxidants, such as Green tea or Rooibos tea.
Boost Your Immune System
- Vitamin C is essential to your body’s ability to fight off infection, so ensure that you are getting enough of it. If you feel the symptoms of a cold or flu, take 500mg twice daily, reducing the dose if you experience any nausea or diarrhoea. As many immune cells appear to be dependant on zinc, it is a good idea to take a good dose during times of illness. Eating one to two cloves of garlic may also save you from an oncoming flu.
- Using Homoeopathic remedies, such as Alpha CF by Boericke & Tafel, is a great way torelieve the symptoms of cold and flu. Make sure that you are drinking enough fluids. Plenty of water and healthy beverages, such as Green tea or Rooibos tea, can prevent a cold or flu. A home-made remedy that is quite effective is to boil the rinds, juice as well as the chopped up flesh of two lemons with a two inch piece of ginger. Strain the liquid and drink while still hot.
- Employing a combination of the above methods will alleviate the symptoms of or could prevent a cold or flu. Take care of yourself, follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly. This will strengthen your body and improve its resilience to illness and infection.