Looking forward to a blind date? Here are a few things that you must keep in mind before going on one
So, you set yourself up for a blind date and you are all excited about it but you don’t really know the dos and don’ts of it.
Before you hit the panic button, we come to your rescue. Follow these simple steps and you will come out a winner:
1. When your date is a stranger, it’s always important to make the outing at a public place. You never know what kind of person they’ll be. Give priority to safety. Suggest a local restaurant or coffee shop. Try to stay out of places that are public but aren’t too crowded.
2. Don’t wear extremely provocative clothes. This saves you from being judged in the very first meeting. Give style and elegance, the first priority. Being a little flirtatious with your dressing is fine but avoid going overboard.
3. Refrain from revealing too many details about yourself. Of course we are not talking about your bank details! Do not be very precise about your address, your family and other important things. Talk about general things like courses you want to pursue, your favourite food, music, films, hobbies, etc.
4. It is not a good idea to start making future plans from the moment you see your date, no matter how good looking he or she may be. Let the first date be casual. Remember, it takes a long time to know a person thoroughly. So, do not jump guns in the first meeting itself. Look forward to being friends first and not partners. This will save you from being disappointed if the date doesn’t go well in the first place.
5. Do not brag. Often to impress their date, people start bragging about themselves endlessly. This mostly happens because people try to too hard to impress their date in the first meeting itself and end up being annoying. Bad idea! Take it slow. Let your date figure out the kind of person you are. Be polite, humble and try listening when your date is talking. Don’t brag to make an impression.
6. Do not lie. You may not be a metalhead and there is nothing wrong in it. Do not fake it and do not try to be someone that you are not.
Your choice of music will not define you. Most importantly, if you two stick around, your date will eventually come to know the truth.
Honesty was, is and will always be the best policy! Be unapologetic about the way you are. Talk about your hobbies, but don’t cook up stories.
7. Nagging is one of the worst habits on a blind date. You may not like your date smoking but remember that you don’t own him or her. Don’t start a debate on how smoking is injurious to health. Let him or her be and do not force your date to leave or take up something just because you want them to.
8. You might not like the person in the first meeting. He or she might not live up to your expectation looks-wise also. That does not mean that you have to be rude or mean to your date. Don’t be judgmental. Do not judge the book by its cover. You always have the liberty to not call the person once the meeting is over. So, avoid being mean on the spot.