Contrary to what you might have heard, pain is not beauty. Just because you are dressing up doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable. Here are some tips to make sure you always feel as good as you look.
1. Always choose natural, breathable fabrics, like cotton, over skin-suffocating synthetics. Natural fibers breathe, which means your body heat won’t get trapped and turn you into a big sweaty mess.
2. Choose a dress or skirt with pockets. There’s just something so comforting about having pockets. They give you something to do with your hands, and if you can limit yourself to just the bare necessities — cash, credit card, ID, and lipstick — you don’t even need a bag. Unfortunately, most formal dresses don’t come with pockets, but they are easy enough for a tailor to add along an existing seam.
3. Elevate your mood with a bold color. You don’t have to wear black to be dressed up. Bright colors make people feel happier, and if you are happier, you are going to feel more comfortable.
4. Wear flats instead of high heels. Flats can be just as sleek and sophisticated as heels. For close-toed flats, choose pointed toes over round toes for a more formal look. And when it comes to open-toed styles and sandals, black, off-white, or colored insoles that match the rest of the shoe tend to look more formal than brown insoles, which are more common on casual shoes since they don’t show dirt as much.
5. Choose a dress with structure for a fitted silhouette that doesn’t feel like sausage casing. A well-tailored garment will follow the line of your body without accentuating every bulge and ripple the way stretchy synthetic bodycon dresses can.
6. Look for a strapless dress with built-in corsetry to ensure you are getting proper support. These tend to be a little more expensive than dresses without built-in support, but it’s worth it not to spend the whole night hiking up your dress.
7. Wear a bra, even if your dress is strapless. Choose a bra with nice straps in a color that matches or complements the dress itself. That way, the straps will actually add something to your look instead of being a distraction.