The fundamental difference in the way men and women communicate with each other leads to stress in relationships. Here are five love stressors and solutions to resolve them.
The key to having a relationship free of conflicts is to understand which female behaviours could be stressing your man out. Here are the top five ways in which a woman’s behaviour could stress a man out, and what to do when you are confronted with them.
1. Constant worry: We often tend to sweat the small stuff, and forget to smell the roses. While men tend to live each day as it comes, women tend to plan ahead. ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ is a common male belief. Day-to-day questions like, ‘Did I switch off the lights?’ or ‘What should I serve at the party?’ can lead to unnecessary hassle and worry.
Solution: Tell your partner what is bothering you. Even if you don’t have complete satisfaction about your issues, you can still achieve a level of peace through open communication.
2. Finding fault: They say, the devil is in the details, and women tend to notice small details much more than men. Men need to feel important and wanted. Nagging them about minutiae will only make them feel incompetent and push them further away.
Solution: Avoid nagging. Instead sit down with your partner and hear out his side of things.
3. Game playing: While men tend to be straightforward in the way they think and act out impulses, women are complicated. They play games with lovers without even realising it, by giving him the silent treatment or acting sarcastic, for instance.
Solution: Be honest about what you want from your man. Put yourself in his place and you will empathise with his confusion. Try to be in tune with his inner feelings.
4. Criticising his appearance: Poking fun at the way he looks can hamper his body image. Women don’t realise that men are as sensitive about their appearance as they are. Just because they don’t discuss their looks doesn’t mean they don’t give a damn about how they appear in front of the mirror.
Solution: Make him feel his best. Tell him how handsome he looks when he has turned out especially dapper. Positive reinforcement goes a long way in building a solid relationship.
5. Overreacting: Women are unconsciously driven by their feelings so their reactions are generally overtly emotional. They could use words like ‘always’ and ‘never’ that serve as triggers for stress.
Solution: Give him credit where it is due. Make it a point to thank him for little gestures of love.