Any man can say “I love you.” Any guy can mutter three words. Any guy can tell you one thing and prove the other.
When it comes to the man who’s telling you he loves you, the best way to tell is to live by the one truth our mothers told us, “Never believe anything men say, only what men do.”
1. He goes to things he doesn’t want to go to because you’re going.
He obviously doesn’t want to go to your random coworker’s house-warming party, but if you’re there, none of the details matter.
2. He’ll stay in on a Friday when you’re sick and risk getting it.
He wants to be with you, even when you’re sick. There are no limits to his love or his devotion. Taking care of you is still better than a night without you.
3. He can sleep with you and not have s*x.
Getting you into bed isn’t a prerequisite for s*x. It’s just another place he likes to lie with you (and not to you).
4. He buys your friends drinks too.
He doesn’t just want make you happy, but the people closest to you, too.
5. He goes where you want to go for dinner.
His own needs and desires come second to pleasing you.
6. He buys snacks specifically for you.
His cabinet is stocked with Gushers and green tea because he doesn’t see you as just any other guest.
7. After a trip, he stops to see you before seeing his own apartment.
Being in love and apart is one of life’s greatest travesties. He doesn’t waste any more time away from you than he has to.
8. He’ll always text you back, even when it’s inconvenient.
Sometimes he just don’t feel like texting. Maybe he doesn’t want to talk right now. But he’ll never let you just sit there with an unanswered text.
9. He pays attention to the little things and remembers them for later.
He knows what notebooks you like to write in, what kind of Snapple you love and he remembers all about the fish allergy you mentioned once.
10. He tries to set up his friends with your friends.
He wants your life to become as much a part of his life as possible. If that means double-dating, so be it.
11. He gives you a towel.
He wants you to be comfortable when you stay over. He wants you to feel at home and safe. In order to do that, he treats his apartment like a fancy hotel and you’re the VIP guest.
12. He tells you you’re beautiful when you wake up — no matter how much makeup is smeared across your face.
Because you are beautiful, and real love transcends looks and smeared makeup.
13. He even pretends to listen when you’re complaining about insignificant drama.
He indulges you in your gossip and will pretend to care about your boss’s new girlfriend.
14. He doesn’t act any different when his friends are around.
Your partner is open about your relationship in front of his friends. He’s not ashamed to admit he has a girlfriend and hug you in front of them — he’s proud.
15. He actually gives you advice when you talk to him.
He doesn’t just listen to your problems, he cares about them, too. He wants to see you happy, and that means treating your bad day like his own.