Today we are going to tell you fourteen interesting and curious things about India you probably never knew about. Let’s start with number one:
1.A barber in India named Ramesh Babu gives his customers a decent trim for only $2 — But he owns a Rolls Royce!
2. Indian housewives hold 11% of the World’s gold. That is more than the reserves of USA, IMF, Switzerland and Germany put together.
3. In India, they celebrate ‘Children’s Day’ on November 14th. 9 months after Valentine’s Day.
4. An Indian airline only hires women because they are lighter, so they save up to $500,000 per year in fuel.
5. 21 Indians fought to death against 10,000 afghans to defend a strategic army post in 1897.
6. Gulabi Gang is the name of a gang of women in India, that on call, beat up abusive husbands with brooms.
7. Indian man single-handedly planted a 1,360 acre forest that is home to a complex, thriving ecosystem.
8. The Prime Minister of India’s salary in 2013 was only $2,400 USD.
9. Hindus in India believe that there are more than 300 million different gods, since every village there has their own local god.
10. In India there’s a prison where prisoners can come and go as they want. The prisoners can also hold jobs. One prisoner is even a school teacher.
11. Diamonds were first discovered in the riverbeds of the Golconda region of India over 4,000 years ago.
12. The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system in India, employing over 1.6 million people.
13. In 1954, archaeologists excavating an 8th-century Viking settlement in Sweden found a Buddha statuette from India.
14. There is a golden temple in India that feeds thousands of people who show up randomly regardless of race, religion and class.