If you’re a young mom, you might feel like a frazzled mess. You may wish to fast forward to a time when your kids are more independent and you actually have time to pluck your eyebrows.
If you’re a middle-aged mom, you might yearn for the days of yore when your children gave you sloppy kisses and your skin didn’t look so tired. You may wonder why you wished those years away.
Every stage of motherhood is rewarding, but here is why being a young mom is really cool.
- You can feign ignorance when your little one does something embarrassing, like scream at the top of his lungs in the grocery store. You can shrug, “I’m new at this, OK?
- You’re still in your prime. You may have a few post-pregnancy pounds to lose, and maybe you don’t have the time or inclination to maintain your nails. But if you’re in your 20s or 30s, believe me — you still look awesome.
- Your kids are still sweet. The drama of teenage angst is still years away. Your young kids may be sassy at times, but they generally want to please you. They’re not shy about throwing their arms around you or writing you love letters.
- Shopping for Christmas and birthdays is still pleasurable. Giving an iPhone to a teenager isn’t fun. It’s the beginning of expensive monthly payments and the battle to limit screen time. On the other hand, giving your child a lightsaber or pink-clad baby doll creates something magical. You’ll love watching your kid use his or her imagination and engage in creative play.
- You have cool baby gadgets and accessories. I don’t even know the names of them because I never got to use them. But we older moms are jealous of the neat little snack carriers and other gadgets we catch glimpses of in the hands of young moms.
- You can roll around on the floor with your kids. You still have a strong back, and your legs don’t cramp up when you play with your kids’ toys.
- A day out doesn’t have to cost anything. A teenager would not be satisfied with an outing to the pet store, park and public library. But they give your young kids a thrill.
- You have the power to mold young minds. Don’t neglect cuddling with a storybook, and teaching your kids about good morals and the wonders of the universe. They love to listen to you. In a few years, that will change.
- You can get away with any hairstyle or clothing style. When you hit middle age, you have to worry about dressing age appropriately. Not so when you’re a hip, young mom. Rock the cool hair and clothes while you can.
- You’re the royal queen. Your little kids look up to you and think you’re the wisest, kindest, most beautiful woman in the world.
Being a mom is a blessing, and being a young mom is fun. But here is a little-known secret: your kids’ teenage years rock, too.