A while back I wrote about the Top 5 Myths that Women STILL Believe About Men. The response from readers was swift and emotional and enlightening. It was fascinating to witness the back and forth between the men (most of whom agreed with me) and women, who seemed reluctant to cede that many of their long-held beliefs about guys were either patently untrue or were watered down by the passage of time.
Well now you get to return the favor. I decided to jot down guys’ favorite myths guys believe about women. I’d like you to tell me if we’re on the money or not. And please don’t tell me that you “can’t generalize.” Of course you can generalize! We all do it every single day! So here goes…
1. The Best Aphrodisiac is a Fat Wallet: You want to know what makes a nerdy guy hot? Big bucks. Money is the great equalizer. Women who say it isn’t are being terribly disingenuous. I’m not saying it’s ALL that matters, but it’s a massive game changer. Let’s be honest here, okay? Pop superstar Seal is going through a divorce with supermodel Heidi Klum, right? Seal has always hooked up with some of the hottest women around.
Seal is not Mr. Pretty Boy. So, how did he do it? He’s got one of the all-time GREAT pick up lines. “Hi, I’m Seal, pop superstar.”
Not saying he’s not a very nice guy. I don’t know him. But I AM saying that Heidi Klum is far more willing to get to know Seal the pop star than she would be with Seal the Taco Bell Shift Leader. No offense to Taco Bell. Their Tacos are delicious.
2. The Green-Eyed Monster is Welcomed: I didn’t want to believe this one, but after having a couple of women shout me down about it, I’m inclined to join the ranks of the believers. Apparently, women really get bothered when their man doesn’t get jealous. I was told in no uncertain terms by one young lady, “If I was going out for a night on the town with girlfriends, looking all hot, I’d be a bit annoyed if my guy wasn’t a little jealous.”
This was a shock to me, since I regard jealousy as an almost useless emotion. But clearly I was mistaken in my attempt to engage in a debate with her as her two friends chimed in with a well-timed, “Me, too!” and an emphatic “Exactly!”
They went on to say that they secretly enjoyed the thought of their man feeling those pangs of jealousy when another guy not-so-slyly checks her out.
Wow. Who knew? I’m now a believer.
3. You Can Take A Woman’s “Love Number” and Multiply by 2: This is a funny one. While guys tend to lie about their number of s*xual partners by rounding the number up, women tend to fudge the truth by rounding down. They Usually justify the figure with various qualifiers like how old they were at the time, how serious the relationship was, how long the encounter actually lasted… and what people will think of her if she gave up the REAL number. But a good rule of thumb is– take her number and multiply by two.
4. Bad Boys Are The First Picks: Sure, women say they want nice guys. Women don’t want nice guys. For as far back as any guy can remember, the guy who worked hardest at being an a-hole was the guy who had a constant rotation of delightful women. The Bad Boy had all types of women. The nice girls, the not-so-nice girls, the nerdy girls, the sorority girls, the professional women, the shy women – this guy manages to get them all! And even when ladies realize that this guy is kind of a jerk, they STILL stick it out with him in hopes of “changing him.” Does the nice guy stand a chance? Yes, he does. Eventually after “Bad Boy” has drained the trust out of every women he encounters, THOSE women finally settle for the nice guy. And of course there’s another way the nice guy can finish first… see myth number 1.
5. Women Cheat Too – They’re Just BETTER At It: Women are simply more skilled at this game than men. Part of it has to do with their ability to plan and plot their covert encounters and part of it has to do with the fact that most of us guys are fairly ignorant about these matters because men don’t have the built in BS detector that women seem to possess. Most guys just don’t believe that THEIR partner is capable of such deception, so we’re already walking around with blinders on. Couple that specific belief to the general belief that women don’t cheat as much as men, in general, and you have the recipe for a successful illicit affair.
Think about it… you always hear about the men getting CAUGHT, not quite as much with the women — even though statistics tell us that roughly 54% of women admit having had affairs in any relationship compared to 57% of men who made the same admission.