Daughters need their dads, and dads need their daughters. Unlike moms though, when a daughter starts maturing dads may feel that she shares more with her mother and withdraw a bit. They may not feel as needed or as helpful as they did when she was young and his little girl. If you are feeling distant from your dad getting close to him is as easy as inviting him into your life. He needs to know you still need him and he needs to know he is still the first man you ever loved.
- Invite your dad outside to play catch.
- Invite your dad for a game of hoops.
- Take your dad for a walk.
- Send your dad a book you like and then make a date to discuss it.
- If you know your dads favorite music, make it a point to get concert tickets and take him.
- Get up early or stay up late on a weekend and fix your dad hot chocolate. As you sip it talk to him about your life.
- Make time for a fishing trip with your dad.
- If your dad likes to garden buy him a plant and go outside to plant it with him.
- Go to a sporting event with dad, and send him a text or email when your team wins.
- Watch his favorite TV show with him, and be curious as to why he likes it.
- Go through old photos with him.
- Ask him about his mom or dad and sit still without interrupting to listen.
- Tell your dad a favorite memory of him from your childhood and how he was your hero.
- Make an attempt to make your dad’s favorite dessert.
- Make your dad a CD with his favorite music.
- Go hiking with your dad and talk about ways he helped you or why you’re glad he is your dad.
- Give your dad something to fix (most dads need to feel necessary and if they can fix something they feel useful).
- Have a date night for you and your dad and as much as possible keep it.
- Play tennis or golf with your dad.
- Call your dad for advice. Dads know a guys’ perspective which is helpful to most girls.
- You don’t have to be an artist to make something for your dad. There is no greater gift than a homemade one from his daughter.
- Share your career plans with your dad, and let him be a mentor.
- Writing a letter to your dad about how you love him makes him feel special and needed in your life.
- Thank your dad for working hard so you could have a nice life growing up.
- Tell your dad the best gift he gave you was mentoring for you how to treat a woman. Dads need to know that they contributed to your self-esteem and confidence as a woman.
Most girls who grow up with an engaged dad feel more confident and interested in their career and life choices. A dad’s relationship with his daughter is one that will model what her future relationships with men will look like. Daughters need their dads, and dad’s need to insist on their time with their little girl. There is no other man she will ever allow to replace her dad in her heart.
by Mary Jo Rapini