These days you can choose from a variety of contraceptive methods. One such method is the birth control pill. When taken correctly, this pill is known to be 99.9 per cent effective. The hormones present in these birth control pills can prevent the ovulation by thickening the lining of the cervix which then prevents the sperm from reaching the eggs. These pills not only prevent pregnancy but they often influence your menstruation too.
Earlier birth control pills were known to have several side effects but today these side effects have reduced greatly. However, before you opt for this convenient contraceptive method, consider these pros and cons.
- This is one of the most reliable contraceptive methods and can prevent pregnancy by 99 per cent when taken rightly.
- There have been studies that suggest that taking birth control pill can reduce ones risk of ovarian and thyroid cancer in the long run.
- Birth control pills are one of the most cost efficient options for contraception.
- These pills reduce androgen levels so they also help reduce acne in the process.
- They have known to cause regular and lighter periods and can also lessen menstrual cramps.
- These pills can often affect PMS symptoms especially emotional symptoms like depression and mood swings causing them to worsen.
- These hormone pills could also cause weight gain.
- It increases your risk of developing blood clots, especially if you smoke.
- Low sex drive is also a common side effect of these hormonal pills.
- They have also known to trigger nausea, headaches and sore breasts.
- Irregular bleeding is also another common side effect.